I hope that you and your families are all keeping well. As you are aware all schools have been closed since March 12th last due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are now hoping to re-open St. John's N.S. on Monday 31st August safely and in line with current guidance and recommendations.
Re-opening safely will require the cooperation of all members of our school community – the Board of Management, School Leadership, Staff, Parents and Pupils. We all must play our part in ensuring that re-opening of the school is done in a safe manner. Our aim is to prevent the spread of Covid-19 and allow the vital work of teaching and learning to proceed with as little disruption as possible.
Both the Covid-19 Response Plan and the Covid 19 Risk Assessment Plan have been completed and will be posted on the school website by the weekend for your perusal.
In order to re-open the following measures have to be implemented -
- Only staff cars and taxis for Special Classes will be permitted onto school grounds at any time.
- Each class have been assigned their own entrance and exit to avoid cross contamination.
- Junior infants - 2nd class/Room 9 and the Speech and Language classes will continue to use the Main Entrance gate as usual.
- 3rd - 6th class will use the Fairgreen/ Astro-turf entrance opposite the Market Yard.
- Full details of our entrance/exit procedure will be uploaded to our website next week – www.stjohnssligo.com. It is vitally important that you familiarise yourself with these procedures in advance.
- Junior Infants and their parents will arrive at 9.30am. Please do not arrive any earlier to allow the other classes to have entered the school in advance. All parents must wear a mask or face covering before entering the school grounds and must adhere to the 2 metres social distancing. The Junior Infants will enter the school through Door 1 which is located beside the roundabout. Please note that parents will not be allowed into the school. The Junior Infants will be going home at 12 noon for the first two weeks.
School Books & Equipment
- All books, pencil cases etc. will be left in school at all times. Please ensure that everything is labelled. Each infant will be assigned a basket and pupils from 1st - 6th will be given a box for their personal items – books, pencils etc. Parents will be required to have another set of stationary at home.
Uniform & Tracksuit
- Uniform and the tracksuit should be worn alternate days depending on the PE day.
- There will be no homework for the month of September to allow the pupils to adjust. This will be reviewed at a later date.
- Each child must have their own bottle of hand sanitiser, tissues and wipes which should be labelled. They will remain beside them on their desk for their personal use. Please continue to emphasise the importance of good hand hygiene, cough etiquette and social distancing.
- Our break will be divided into two sections – Junior and Senior. Each class will be assigned their own zone in the yard and will be supervised accordingly. The yard will be divided into 6 zones separated by cones.
- This can be achieved in two ways
(1) Increasing Separation through the creation of Pods (group of 6) within each class (the Bubble)
- (2) Decreasing Interaction i.e. No assemblies, separate zones for breaks and assigned class entrances and exits etc.
Visitors to the School
- Parents/Visitors will not be allowed into the school premises except by appointment only or in emergency situations.
- While all children will be welcomed back to school, we would remind parents that, where children are displaying colds, coughs or flu like symptoms, they should not be sent to school. Children who display such symptoms in school will be isolated in a dedicated Isolation Room and parents asked to collect them from the school.
- Children who have travelled from countries not on the Green List should not attend school during the 14-day self-isolation period.
- If you are concerned about your child returning to school due to their health or compromising the health of a family member I would appreciate if you could contact the school in advance.
A lot of changes have been made around the school to ensure the safe return of everyone in our school community. I do appreciate that the last 5 months have been extremely difficult for everyone but I appeal for everyone’s patience and co-operation as we attempt to reopen our school.
Looking forward to seeing you all on Monday August 31st.
Bernard Mulhern Fr. Declan Boyce